The Scientists Dating Forum held a meeting on Tuesday, 7th March, to discuss about the possibility of launching a March for Science in Barcelona.
The meeting took place at Residència d’Investigadors (carrer Hospital, 64, Barcelona) from 7 pm to 10 pm, with a total of 20 attendees involved somehow in science (with many different backgrounds).
All over the world thousands of scientists are mobilising to organise a March for Science on 22 April 2017 in their city in order to celebrate their pasion for science, promote evidence-based policies, show support for the scientific community and promote scientific education to the public. We want to see a March for Science in Barcelona happen; therefore, we organised a meeting to see what possibilities there are and how we could contribute to it.
The first conclusions of the meeting are the following:
- It seems we are one of the few organisations who represent a huge heterogeneity of the scientific community in Barcelona: over 60 persons from over 30 institutions of the scientific community have been involved in the team. And the team has been in contact so far with over 130 people from over 75 institutions who are interested to collaborate.
- We will therefore try to serve as catalyser for launching a March for Science in Barcelona.
- Once launched, we will be one of the actors, contributing to the March, just as anyone else, with the expertise we have. It’s a March of all scientists! (Remark: above picture is a general one for this article and not the official logo of the March for Science Barcelona)
What are the next steps we propose?
- We will create a document, which we will co-edit with other volunteers from other organisations.
- In the document, we will identify the aims of the March for Science in Barcelona. Do we want to protest, celebrate our passion for science, educate people on science, promote evidence-based politics?
- We will then need to find a slogan for the March.
- Once we have the objectives of the March for Science in Barcelona, we propose some concrete actions/working groups to realise those objectives during the day of the March.
- This document/plan of actions will be finalised in a live meeting, next Tuesday 14/03*. This meeting will again be open and we invite anyone to join it.
- On Wednesday 15/03* we will send this document to the entire scientific community in Barcelona and ask them to decide (until 20/03*) in which concrete action they can get involved.
- From then on we will see who in the scientific community will be ready to contribute and in what manner.
- If we see that there is sufficient contribution to make the March happen, we will ask on 22/03 (1 month before 22/04) the official permission for a March in Barcelona.
Follow the updates also in the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1656788571281527/
We will keep you updated and we are totally open for any new ideas and propositions!
*approximative dates, we will try to advance as quick as possible and keep you upated. Check our social media regularly.